Thursday, October 23, 2014

Thoughts on Megan Cox Gurdon's "Darkness to Visible"

       I read Megan Cox Gurdon's "Darkness Too Visible". In the essay, MCG states how much young adult literature has changed and her take on how she feels about modern young adult books. Throughout the essay, MCG gives a handful of examples of how dark, inappropriate and gruesome these books are.
The opinion, the author MCG has about young adult literature is that is too dark and inappropriate for kids to read and she feels that if kids read these books they’ll get influenced to be doing the bad things the characters in their stories are doing. The author wants the me, the reader, to feel that modern young adult books are too gruesome for people in their adolescence and that these books should either be banned or should be put in a different age group.She wants to convince us to believe that modern young adult literature is that is too dark and inappropriate for kids to read.
My opinion on this is that I,a young adult, feels like I am capable of reading books like this and I love learning lessons because I get to know what to look out for and get to see what other people are going through.Books like Crank by: Ellen Hopkins and Tweak:Growing Up on Methemphetamines by:Nic Sheff are two of my favorite books,these two books are both banned and are both about young adults using drugs and it shows how their life has be. It teaches the reader to not use drugs and I feel young adults should know about these topics so that they to know to avoid things like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment